Thinking of getting a spray tan but worried it will fade too quickly or you won’t be able to maintain your bronzed glow? We answer all of your spray tan queries and provide expert tips and tricks on how to make your spray tan last.
How Long Does A Spray Tan Last?
A good quality spray tan will last up to a week, though it does vary according to your skin regime and the depth of the spray tan you opt for. A light bronze can fade in around 5 days, while a darker shade will stay put for a good week.
However, there are so many things that you can do to make your spray tan last!
How Can I Make My Spray Tan Last Longer?
1. Shower in lukewarm water
When it comes to washing off your spray tan, shower under lukewarm water and avoid using scrubs or soaps, as these can fade your tan. Simply rinse until the water runs clear.
After that, avoid having long baths or showers and use gentle, sulphate-free shower creams. It will make such a difference to how long your spray tan lasts!
Top Tip: In the hours between getting your spray tan and washing it off, wear black, loose–fitting clothes to avoid rubbing off your tan.
2. Moisturise twice a day
Dry skin sheds quicker, meaning your tan fades faster, so make sure that you keep your skin hydrated by applying a moisturiser day and night.
Our Tan Enhancing Body Moisturiser blends Shea Butter with Apricot Kernel Oil and Jojoba Seed Oil to keep your skin hydrated. Apply it religiously twice a day to prolong your tan and keep your skin feeling velvety soft and smooth.
Top Tip: Make sure that you drink plenty of water as well. If your body is dehydrated, your skin will be too.
3. Exfoliate for an even fade
It might seem counter-intuitive, but using an exfoliator can help your spray tan last longer. By gently exfoliating away dead skin cells, it prevents your tan from looking patchy and helps it to fade evenly.
We recommend using our Tan Enhancing Body Polish and Exfoliator every 3 days. Its gentle formula delicately removes dry skin, helping your tan fade evenly and look natural.
4. Top up your glow
The easiest way to make your spray tan last longer is to keep topping it up. A gradual tanning lotion will keep your skin hydrated, while also enhancing your tan a little more each day.
Our Gradual Tan Tinted Everyday Body Lotion is perfect for this! Not only does it instantly illuminate skin and blur imperfections where tan has already started to fade, but it also gradually develops into a long-lasting, natural golden glow. Apply it every day using an Applicator Mitt to make your bronzed colour last longer.
5. Keep skincare simple
To prevent the tan on your face from fading, it’s best to avoid using acids (like AHAs or BHAs) or any retinoids (like retinol or bakuchiol), as these skincare products encourage skin cell turnover and will cause your tan to fade quicker.
Should your facial tan lose its radiance, you can always top it up. Choose between our bestselling and dermatologically tested glows:
- Self Tan Purity Bronzing Water Face Mist: Formulated with antioxidant-rich Hibiscus Extract, hydrating Hyaluronic Acid and refreshing Green Mandarin Water, this lightweight mist not only enhances your tan, but cares for your skin too. Simply spritz onto your face, with no need to blend or rinse off. Your sunkissed glow will subtly develop over 4-8 hours.
- Self Tan Purity Vitamins Bronzing Water Face Serum: Packed with Hyaluronic Acid, Peach Flower Extract, Green Mandarin Water and Vitamin C and D boosters, this bronzing serum gives you a natural-looking medium glow, while also deeply hydrating and brightening your complexion. Swap out for your usual skincare serum once a week, or as much as desired.
- Gradual Tan Classic Everyday Face Cream: Infused with Vitamin E to hydrate and nourish your skin, while gradually building a natural sunkissed glow. Simply apply this gentle cream instead of your daily moisturiser, making sure to wash your hands after use.
6. Protect your tan when exercising
Just like tan, exercise can make you feel good and boost your confidence, so we’d never tell you to stop. However, as the combination of sweat and tight-fitting clothing can rub against your skin and breakdown your tan, we’d recommend applying a touch of baby powder to any areas where the skin might rub (think cleavage, underarms, thighs and elbow pit). It will absorb the sweat and minimise friction, keeping your golden glow intact.
7. Avoid chlorine
Now that summer has come to a close, you’re much less likely to go to the pool or head to the beach. However, if you’re a regular swimmer or are planning on getting some winter sun, try not to spend too long in the water. The chlorine and salt can strip your tan.
Top Tip: If your tan does start to fade, you can always top up it up with a gradual tan lotion.
Follow these 7 tips and your spray tan will last so much longer – trust us!