Achieving a head-to-toe glow isn’t always easy, particularly as the best practices when using fake tan for face are slightly different to those for the body. Don’t worry though, we’ve put together a simple step-by-step on how to fake tan your face, along with a guide to the best fake tan for face, so that you can achieve a flawless, bronzed complexion – every time.
How to fake tan your face like a pro
1. Choose the best fake tan for face
Knowing how to fake tan your face for a beautiful glow starts with finding the right face tan for you. Consider your skin type and desired depth of tan:
- For oily or acne-prone skin: Our St.Tropez face tanning mist is the best face tan for oily or acne-prone skin. Its lightweight and tropically-scented formula is made with non-pore blocking ingredients, so you can achieve a golden glow in 4 to 8 hours without causing breakouts or congestion.
- For normal to dry skin: The St.Tropez face serum is formulated with hydrating Hyaluronic Acid and brightening Vitamin C, making it the best face fake tan for those with dry complexions. Expect skin to feel moisturised for up to 72 hours, and your bronzed tan to develop over 3 to 6 hours.
- For a gradual tan: If you’d rather build your tan slowly, try our gradual St.Tropez face tan moisturiser. While the Classic Gradual Tan Face Cream is infused with Vitamin E to hydrate skin as it gradually tans, the Tinted Face Moisturiser adds an instant touch of colour, while developing into a deeper tan over 4 to 8 hours.
Top Tip: All St.Tropez face tan is designed specifically for the sensitive skin on the face, and all have lightweight, hydrating and non-pore blocking formulas.
2. Prepare your skin
In the same way that you’d prepare your body for tan application 24 hours in advance, you should prep your skin before applying fake tan for face too.
A day before tanning, exfoliate with a gentle, oil-free face scrub to smooth any rough, dry patches. Focus on areas that are prone to dryness, like the cheeks and around the nose. Then, cleanse the skin and apply an oil-free moisturiser to lock in hydration, focusing on the chin, nose, behind the ears and the back of the neck.
Top Tip: Oil can prevent the face tanner from absorbing properly, so avoid using any oil-based skincare products 24 hours prior to tanning.
3. Apply your face tan
The best time to apply a fake tan for face is in the evening, as it allows the product to develop overnight. Consider it a part of your evening skincare routine.
Start by cleansing the skin and removing all traces of makeup. Next, lightly moisturise around your nostrils and other dry spots. Again, make sure that your cleanser, makeup remover and moisturiser are all oil-free. You’re now ready to apply your face tanner.
- Applying the St.Tropez Face Mist: If you opted for the Purity Face Mist, shake the bottle and spritz 3 to 5 times while moving the bottle clockwise around your face to ensure an even coverage. A healthy-looking glow will subtly develop over 4-8 hours, with no need to rinse.
- Applying the St.Tropez Face Serum: If you chose the Purity Vitamins Face Serum, dispense the face tan into your hands, then smooth evenly over the face, neck and decolletage. Wash your hands and allow the tan to deepen over 4 to 8 hours. There’s no need to rinse!
- Applying the Gradual St.Tropez Face Tan: If you opted for the St.Tropez Gradual Tan Face Cream or Tinted Gradual Tan Classic Everyday Light/Medium Face Cream, simply apply like a moisturiser across the face, neck and decolletage using upward circular motions. Blend into the hairline and over the ears. Repeat every evening.
Top Tip: For best results, make sure that you apply your face tan in a well-lit area. Dot the products onto the areas that the sun naturally hits (think the nose, chin, cheeks and forehead), then blend out with your fingers.
4. Customise your look
If you haven’t achieved your desired depth of tan by the next morning, simply re-apply your chosen face tan that evening as part of your skincare routine. Repeat until you’re happy with your bronzed look. Then, moisturise every morning and night to prevent the tan from fading.
Cell turnover on the face occurs much faster than on the body, so you should expect your face tan to fade much faster too. When the 2 tans no longer match up, simply exfoliate the face and begin the tanning cycle again.
And that’s how to fake tan your face in 5 simple steps! Whether you prefer a face tan moisturiser or a tanning mist, you can find your favourite St.Tropez fake tan for face on our website.
The St.Tropez Purity Vitamins Tanning Serum is our best face tan yet! Here’s how to apply it.