Wondering how to get a tan in Winter? We share our six top tips and tricks to help you add a little warmth back into your skin, despite the cold weather outside.
How to get a tan in Winter in 6 steps
1. Exfoliate dry skin
When it comes to self tanning, exfoliation is the key to an even-looking, flawless finish, particularly in Winter. As the weather turns cold, skin becomes drier, which can cause tan to look patchy.
Starting at the legs and working your way upwards, gently massage our Tan Enhancing Body Polish and Exfoliator into the skin using circular motions. Pay particular attention to dry areas, like the feet, ankles, knees and elbows. This should be done 24 hours before tan application.
2. Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise
As fake tan clings to very dry areas, always ensure that your skin is well hydrated. Use a moisturiser every day in the week leading up to tan application, then moisturise very dry areas, such as elbows, knees, ankles, feet and hands, 2 to 3 hours before tanning.
Our Tan Enhancing Body Moisturiser leaves your skin feeling velvety soft and smooth. Apply it over your whole body before tanning, focusing particularly on dry areas. This will prevent the skin from absorbing excess tan and looking patchy, instead giving you a gorgeous, radiant glow.
3. Go slow
To get a natural-looking tan in Winter, we recommend taking a gradual approach. By applying a tanning lotion every day, you’ll build your colour over time, creating a more subtle look.
Our Gradual Tan Body Lotion is a great way to slowly build and control the depth of your tan. Simply apply like a moisturiser and it will develop into a subtle glow from day 1. You can then reapply it daily to achieve your desired finish. Just remember to wash your hands after application!
4. Infuse the skin with vitamins and hydration
As skin is particularly dry throughout Winter, there are huge benefits to using a self tanning product enriched with skin-nourishing ingredients. Opt for formulas with hydrating Hyaluronic Acid, or key vitamins for Winter, like Vitamins C and D.
Our Self Tan Purity Vitamins Bronzing Water Body Mist is a great way to get a tan in Winter! Infused with Hyaluronic Acid and nourishing Vitamin C and D boosters, it instantly hydrates skin while mimicking the positive effects of the sun. Simply spritz onto skin, then blend in using an Applicator Mitt. You can expect an instant radiance boost and a week-long medium golden tan to develop over the next 4 to 8 hours.
5. Don’t forget the face
Tanning your face is particularly important in Winter, as your body is likely to be covered up. To create a natural tan, we offer 3 glow-giving options:
- The vitamin rich option: Our Self Tan Purity Vitamins Bronzing Water Face Serum will give you a glowing, radiant complexion. Packed with Hyaluronic Acid, Peach Flower Extract, Green Mandarin Water and Vitamin C and D boosters, it gives you a natural-looking medium tan, while also deeply hydrating and brightening skin. Apply onto clean, dry skin, then allow your tan to develop over 4 to 8 hours.
- The hydrating option: Our Purity Face Mist creates a beautiful bronzed look, while caring for your skin too. It’s infused with 100% natural tanning actives, hydrating Hyaluronic Acid, antioxidant-rich Hibiscus Extract and refreshing Green Mandarin Water to give your skin an instant hydration boost and subtle tan. Apply onto clean, dry skin, then allow your tan to develop over 4 to 8 hours.
- The gradual option: Our Gradual Tan Classic Everyday Face Cream gradually builds a bronzed radiance. Infused with Vitamin E, it hydrates and nourishes skin, while slowly developing into a natural sunkissed glow. Apply this gentle cream instead of your daily moisturiser, making sure to wash your hands after use.
Top Tip: Buy your body and face tanning essentials for less with our exclusive bundles! The Supercharged Skincare Glow includes our Purity Vitamins Body Mist and Face Serum, while the Tropical Glow set features our Purity Body Mousse and Face Mist.
6. Target your tan
As your Winter wardrobe won’t be as revealing as your Summer one, you don’t necessarily need to tan from head to toe. Focusing on the arms, hands, decolletage, neck and face should suffice. If you often wear ripped jeans or skirts with high boots and no tights, we recommend tanning your legs too.
And that’s how to get a tan in Winter! Explore the full ranges of tanning products on our website or find out more about how to make your tan last longer.
Michaella Bolder Tanning Tips: Winter Skincare
Michealla Bolder shares her top Winter skincare tips and explains the importance of keeping skin hydrated for a great Winter tan.
Get Your Glow On This Festive Season
Our top tips on how to get a gorgeous golden glow that lasts from Christmas to New Year’s Day.
How To Make Your Tan Last Longer This Autumn
4 tips to make your tan last longer so you can keep flaunting a summer-worthy glow!