This Christmas period might not be filled with the festive parties or large family gatherings we’d all pictured, but that doesn’t mean you can’t look and feel good for the special occasion. In fact, feeling confident and beautiful is important now more than ever.
With that in mind, we talk you through how to fake tan like a pro, so you can flaunt a gorgeous golden glow that lasts from Christmas to New Year’s Day.
How to fake tan in 6 steps
1. Choose your tan
Wondering how to fake tan? It all starts with choosing the self tanner that works best for you. Whether you’re looking for a long-lasting finish, a fast-acting tanner or a short-term solution, we’ve got you covered.
- For a long-lasting finish: Our most iconic self tanner, the Classic Mousse boasts a lightweight and easy-to-blend formula that adapts to your skin tone to create a natural-looking tan. Wear for 4 to 8 hours, then rinse to reveal a beautiful, bronzed glow that lasts up to 10 days.
- For a quick tan: Our fastest-acting self tanner that delivers a flawless finish, the Express Mousse creates a natural-looking, streak-free and long-lasting tan in as little as 1 hour. Rinse after just 1 hour for a light tan, 2 hours for a medium golden bronze, or 3 hours for a deep, dark tan to suit your skin tone.
- For a commitment-free glow: Our Instant Tan Lotions act like body makeup, delivering a natural tan that only lasts 24 hours. They instantly add colour to the skin, and can be washed off with soap and water.
2. Exfoliate to create a smooth canvas
Having chosen your self tanner, it’s time to prep your skin.
The easiest way to achieve a flawless-looking tan is to start with clean, smooth skin. That’s where our Tan Enhancing Body Polish and Exfoliator comes in. Specifically designed to buff away dry skin, it helps to even out skin tone and creates a soft, smooth canvas for your tan. Massage it onto the skin 24 hours prior to tanning, focusing on dry areas like the feet, ankles, elbows and knees.
3. Moisturise to avoid dry patches
Moisturised skin is the secret to a patch-free finish, as fake tan can often cling to very dry areas. Apply our Tan Enhancing Body Moisturiser immediately before tanning to ensure skin is well-hydrated. Focus on very dry areas (such as elbows, knees, ankles, feet and hands) to prevent the skin from absorbing excess tan and looking uneven. It’s the key to a gorgeous, radiant glow!
4. Apply your tan
For a streak-free finish, always apply self tanner with a Tanning Mitt, like our Dual Sided Luxe Applicator Mitt. It evenly distributes the tanning product and seamlessly blends it into the skin for a flawless finish, every time.
- If using our Classic or Express Mousses, pump the product onto the Tanning Mitt, then massage onto the skin, starting at the ankles and working upwards. Use large circular strokes to ensure every inch of skin is covered.
- If using our One Night Only Lotion, apply onto the skin, then blend using the Tanning Mitt.
5. Tan your face
For a head-to-toe glow, tan your face with a nourishing and hydrating formula that cares for your skin, so you can enjoy an even healthier-looking glow.
- Our Self Tan Purity Vitamins Bronzing Water Face Serum is packed with Hyaluronic Acid, Peach Flower Extract, Green Mandarin Water and Vitamin C and D boosters. It gives you a natural-looking medium tan, while deeply hydrating and brightening skin. Apply onto clean, dry skin, then allow the tan to develop over 4 to 8 hours.
- Our Self Tan Purity Bronzing Water Face Mist is formulated with antioxidant-rich Hibiscus Extract, hydrating Hyaluronic Acid and refreshing Green Mandarin Water. It hydrates the skin and creates a natural-looking golden glow. Apply onto clean, dry skin, then allow the tan to develop over 4 to 8 hours.
6. Maintain and fade naturally
To make your Christmas tan last until New Year’s Day, moisturise daily and exfoliate every 2 or 3 days to ensure an even fade. This will help your tan last up to 10 days.
And that’s how to fake tan! Follow the six tips above and you’ll be flaunting a gorgeous golden glow all festive season.